A Film and Photo Artist, interested in exploring experimental Documentary Arts and Poetic Film. My practice is rooted in my personal experiences. I consider embodiment and human connection to the environment. I am drawn to questions of society, of localised issues that speak universally. I am intrigued by changing notions of community and the human condition in the 21st Century. Through use of Lens-based media and experimental sound I attempt to push the boundaries of documentary practice.
Exhibitions & Experience
- Director, for webseries @girlswithcapes, 'North Sea Sisters' female surfing documentary currently in post production.
- Film Director, VRN (visual research network- Granada Centre for Anthropology) Covid film. Currently at festivals.
-Film Artist Residency: Arts, Letters, Numbers, Humanities, New York State Sept 2020 (postponed to 2022)
- Film Artist: Granada Centre for Visual Anthropology, Artist Residency September 2018 (Manchester Uni, Salford Uni & Manchester Met AHRC North west) http://www.visualresearchnetwork.com/
- Photography Exhibition: The Bowery Gallery, Then & Now Exhibition and Publication June-Sept 2018
- Film installation: 'Dialect of the Deep' Free Space project, London. March - June 2018
- Photography Exhibition: The Bowery Gallery, Leeds Film Installation July - October 2017
- Whitecloth Photography & Film Gallery, Leeds 'Twinned' exhibition April- June 2017
- Goole Art Gallery, Arts Council Funded 'Place Greater than home' solo exhibition January 2017
- V Art Centre, Elephant in the room Photo Collective, Shanghai, 2015
- Brick Lane photo auction, London 2014
Project 'A Place, greater than home' http://deborahharman.tumblr.com
-The Junction Arts Centre grand opening, solo exhibition, Goole 2010 (Artist workshops)
- East London Photography Festival, Vyner Street Gallery London 2010
- Impressions Gallery, Bradford. Lost in Transit Group show 2009 https://debbieharman.wordpress.com
- Redeye Photography Network & Impressions Gallery. One Year artist development and exhibition programme 2008
-Film & Video Umbrella, 3 month Arts film commissioning Traineeship, London 2008
MA Photography, London College of Communication (UAL) 2014
BA Honours Graphic Art & Design, Leeds Met University 2007
Foundation Art Diploma, Leeds College of Art 2002